Text Size
Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Click here for Advanced Search

Hon. Michael McShane, Chief Judge

Melissa Aubin, Clerk of Court

Pro Bono Representation

Frequently asked questions about the Pro Bono representation in the District of Oregon.  For more information about the Pro Bono Program, see the Pro Bono Program page.

  • How do I get a pro bono attorney? +

    Once you have a case pending in the US District Court, you will want to file a "Motion for Appointment of Pro Bono Counsel." This motion can be filed with your complaint or petition or may be filed at any time during the course of the case.

  • I have a case in Oregon Circuit Court. Can I use your program to get an attorney to represent me there? +

    No. The USDC Pro Bono Program can only appoint attorneys for cases filed in the District. You may find resources for state court cases at Oregon Law Help.

  • Is there a form for the "Motion for Appointment of Pro Bono Counsel?" +

    There is no standardized form, but the motion should follow the rules and format of the complaint and other case documents. Samples of the format are available in the Guide for Filing a Civil Complaint, which can be obtained from the Court's Intake Counter.

  • 1