The Reports main menu option allows users to search for District-wide information for both civil and criminal cases. Menu selections are predicated upon the user's access level. In most report selection screens, the following rules apply:
- If a selection box displays more than one choice, multiple items may be selected.
- If a selection list includes a blank item, it can be used to select "all."
- If multiple selection criteria are specified, i.e. judge and office, only those items for which both are true will be retrieved.
(a) Docket Sheet
The Docket Sheet report displays the cover page and selected docket entries for a single case. If a document range is specified, docket entries which do not have an associated document will not be listed. This report is the same as generated via the Query menu option Docket Report. Registered Users will be able to view the Notices of Electronic Filing by selecting Docket Sheet and checking the box to include the links to the Notice of Electronic Filing. When viewing the system-generated Docket Sheet, the user may click on the icon next to the document number to display the Notice of Electronic Filing for that transaction.
(b) Civil Cases Report
This report displays a summary list of cases selected by numerous criteria, including office, nature of suit, cause of action, and jurisdiction. The report can be sorted by case number or any of the criteria selected.
(c) Criminal Cases Report
This report displays a summary list of cases selected by numerous criteria including office, case flags, or citation, and can include pending and/or terminated defendants. The report can be sorted by case number, terminal digit, or office.
(d) Civil and Criminal Selected Reports
- Calendar – Events: This report displays schedule records, including deadlines and hearings, that match the selection criteria. The report may be sorted by time or divisional office location. See Appendix G.
- Docket Activity: The Docket Activity Report displays a summary of docketed events selected by numerous criteria, including start date, end date, office, category of event, or case number. Each item listed includes a case number hyperlink to a docket report and a link to the related PDF document.
- Written Opinions: This report allows the user to view those documents designated as written opinions in the system. There are no PACER charges incurred when viewing written opinions.
Pursuant to the E-Government Act of 2002, a "written opinion" is defined as "any document issued by a judge or judges of the court, sitting in that capacity, that sets forth a reasoned explanation for a court's decision." The responsibility for determining which documents meet this definition rests with the authoring judge. The decision as to whether the document is a "written opinion" is not the same as the decision about whether an opinion should be published.
The definition is expressly intended to cover reports and recommendations issued by magistrate judges at such time as any action is taken by a district judge on the basis of a report and recommendations issued by a magistrate judge, and also includes a summary order by a district judge adopting such a report and recommendations. The definition is not intended to include routine, non-substantive orders, such as scheduling orders or rulings on motions for extension of time.
(e) Internet Payments Made Report
The Internet Payment History Report in CM/ECF can be used to view the transaction history for credit card payments you have made in CM/ECF as part of the electronic filing process.
The Internet Payment History Report displays:
- The case number associated with each payment (clicking the case number directs you to PACER);
- The date each payment was made;
- A description of each item (the type of CM/ECF event used);
- The method of payment used for each transaction;
- The receipt number (also referred to as the Agency Tracking Number) for each transaction; and
- The amount of each transaction.